Running to 100 Store

Monday, December 13, 2010

Am I still a runner? Why have I been cursed…

This past Sunday I decided since I had not seen/felt or heard of any pains coming from my right IT Band to go for a very easy 5 to 6 mile run on the trails. Yes my achilles are still not healed but they are good enough for an easy 5 mile run.
Honestly going into this test run I was more concerned about them than my IT Band. I figured the IT Band was over and healed.
I thought wrong. My achilles were actually ok. I mean I could not run hard with out re-injuring them but for an easy run they are strong enough. My IT band instantly started hurting about mile 3! I even walked the first mile to warm up. Needless to say I was utterly crushed.
Almost 3 months of no running. Constant strength training to work on muscle imbalances. Stretching daily. All for nothing. It was like i had done nothing.
I am at a loss on what to do. Yesterday standing in the rain, covered in mud I broke down and cried. My knee is a symbol of my life. I try with all my heart doing what I think is best only to realize I had made no progress. So alone I stood in the darkness.
I am still waiting and still hoping to see the lessons to be learned during this time of suffering and change. I hope in the fruit that will come from going through this. I hope to be a better runner some day. I hope to be a better person some day.
So knowing I cannot just sit back and do nothing. I am going to try and save up some money to pay for a full on gait analysis as the University of Virginia.
They have an endurance sports unit on campus that does just that. It's a 3.5 to 4 hour project. They put you through a whole slew of test to see what may be causing your injury. I think this is the next logical step in trying to find a long term solution to my inability to run healthy. See this link if you have any interest in doing this yourself. http://www.uvaendurosport.com/
I emailed them today to check on scheduling. I will have to take a day off work to drive down there. I kinda dread wasting a vacation day on that but I see no other choice.
So it's back to the gym and not running as it has been for over the last 2 months.
Cheers,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment