Running to 100 Store

Friday, January 21, 2011

Cocoon

The snow has covered the terrain that was once brown, beaten down and dead.
A cocoon of white has tucked it away. Holding it closely waiting for a new day. When all that was old is young. When all that was brown blooms of color in every hue.

The snow has become my cocoon. Weather I like it or not I have become tucked into its grasp. Each step is labored and more intense. Each climb more difficult. It's cold snapping inside of me breath by breath. Slowly pushing me towards something I have yet to understand or see.

Within the grip of the winter cocoon I am being made new. In spite of it's burden on me there is beauty to be found. Sure it's hard, sure it hurts but there is purity in it's white. There is comfort in its hush on the woods. There is encouragement in the sight of seed pods scattered across it's crust. Encouragement of things to come.

I want to fight this burden. But I know it's necessary for things to be as they should. To be renewed we must go through the seasons. Each has its blessings in a unique way. It can be hard to remember this when looking directly at it. But if your thoughts can reflect off the snow as the sun you may find yourself flying in the sky. You may find something you never thought possible.

For me personally it seems winters cocoon has not only taken hold of my running but has also taken hold of my life. I want to rebel against it. But if I try and look at it from a positive perspective it IS good for me. It will bring growth if I choose to be part of it. I want to grow as a runner but also as a person.

Over the last several days as is often the case music seems to come to my mind. Almost the feelings I have or sights that I see made audible in music. Sparklehorse
has long been one of those bands that come to my mind when in deep thought or in times of inner struggle. During my run today their song Pain Birds kept creeping into my thoughts. As a matter of fact this song often appears on my lips when suffering tremendously while racing. I miss Mark Linkous. I wish he could have gotten past his winter burden. I am thankful he flew while reflecting off the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment