Running to 100 Store

Monday, January 3, 2011

The old and new

Today was a bit different than other days have been as far as exercise,running is concerned. First of all I have changed up my weight lifting/gym work outs. Want to make sure my body does not get to use to what it does. After some lengthy conversations with Derek about IT band issues I have decided to focus a bit more on stretching and building up my gluteus medius muscle. Apparently a weak gluteus medius can cause major IT issues due to the hip alignment being off during the stance faze when running. 
This morning I incorporated a bit more stretching targeting hip and hamstring flexibility. I can say I am almost embarrassed about how tight I am. I can hardly spread my legs from front to back at 90 degrees! Not good. Not good at all. 
I have also started really upping the weight for my compound exercises such as deadlift,squat and good morning. I broke my squat record with 240 pounds and deadlifted on an elevated platform this morning 210 pounds.
I am hoping that increasing flexibility and increased muscle mass will serve me well in the coming months as I begin to run more. On a more exciting note I was able for the FIRST time since October 2nd to run hard. Well not race pace hard, but I was able to run and not jog.  I did 5 miles during lunch today on the roads and averaged 7min per mile which is light years ahead of what I have been able to do. I was actually able to outpace my cardio capacity. I have not done that in months. 
While running today I noticed if I focus on powering out of the ball of my foot and keeping myself very upright I have NO IT Band issues at all. I am thinking my IT band problem was a result of the following. Tight hips and hamstrings. Weak gluteus medius muscles manifesting themselves in poor form. If I overcome the poor form everything seems to click. It also helps that I am able to push off at least a little bit without fear of achilles pain. They are a little tight after todays run but nothing like they have been after shorter easier runs.
I cannot express how thankful I am that at last I am seeing real progress in my physical condition. I have to admit I was beginning to really waver about me actually becoming a runner again. But after today it is still there. It is still part of who I am.
I have been thinking a lot about friends,family and life as most do this time of year. Sort of taking inventory of everything that is my life. While visiting my grandparents yesterday I was lost in the darkness of the countryside. The only illumination was the occasional light on in a barn helping the farmer get the evening milking done. It was so simple and uncluttered. Steady,solid and unwavering. My grandparents lives are coming to a close. They are both nearing 90. They have been pillars in my life. They are the darkness that sits still in the countryside. They are the dim light helping the work that needs to be done get done. They are not flashy. They just are. Waiting and ready. Solid as steel and as tender as the cool evening breeze.
I dedicate my training and running to them. Solid,firm and unwavering they are. The old guard will eventually be passed to me. May I be worthy enough someday to at least partially fill their shoes for the sake of others as they have done for me.
_Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment