Running to 100 Store

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Year in review.....

Man.... what a year!!!

Last year, my New Years resolution was to 'cut back on racing so much'!! That did't go so well (I think I lasted maybe 10 minutes! Thanks Greg!)

As I reviewed the miles, and calculated stats of 2010, I reminisced about some of the great adventures I had! All the traveling, the people I met along the way, the excitement of sharing crazy adventures with close friends, achieving the emotional highs and also overcoming the dark depths of the lows. Though this past year was not as productive as I would of wanted, I feel confident that everything about the year was a success!

My goals for 2011 changed throughout the many adventures I had in 2010. It was just about 14 months ago that I did my first ULTRA (Blues Cruise). My good friend Alex Barth gave me the 'nudge' about ultras that Spring. I was not sold on that thought of running more than a marathon at that time, and still enjoyed the cities and pavement. Alex drug me to my next couple of ultras (lets be honest, it doesnt take much to twist my arm! all he had to do was mention he was doing one, and I was there!) I was falling in love with long distance, and even more with trails!

As much as I love being alone in the woods, with nothing but the trail beneath me, I rather enjoyed having some great friends to share in the many adventures! One of my main 'partner in crime' friends was Greg! It was almost like peer pressure "I will do it if you do!" - This, created many stories and lots of laughs, and some really stupid situations! Really stupid!! Even hiking this past fall we got in a stupid situation- But we survived to do it again another time!

So... with over 40 races accomplished last year, I was able to complete 6 marathons (2 of which I ran with my dad! an experience I will never forget!!) and 7 Ultras. I ran in my first 12 HR Endurance run, and was probably the feeling I had during a race the whole year!! I completed my first Masochist 50 miler- probably the toughest part of any adventure I ever faced- This is where my IT band decided it was done, at the half way point! I raced on the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC and Virginia, the Rocky Terrain of North NJ, along side the Susquehanna River, on the beautiful Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail in Ohiopyle PA, and on the magnificent mountains and trails of Bend OR. Making many new friends along the way.

So as the year was coming to a close, and I rest my tired legs and injured IT band, I wanted to approach 2011 different. After watching Tim Olson finish first across the finish line of the torrential downpour of the  Pine to Palm 100, I knew I wanted to take on that awesome adventure. But with the way I approached my training in 2010, I know I needed to find some help (not mentally... I think!) I sought out Coach Ian Torrence from McMillian Running for his training and expertise for the upcoming year. I am really looking forward to seeing what is in store for this upcoming year!

I watched the ball drop, and rung in the new year, talking and sharing about past and soon to be future accomplishments. That positive feeling left me inspired, and motivated, and ready for the new year- Later that morning, I went for a trail run with Jesse and some of his running buddies out his way! There were brief periods that I felt strong and fluid, like I was dancing on the rocks and up the hills. Starting off the year right both physically and mentally!


First Sunrise of the year!


I am very excited about this year, and having a training brother to share it with. Crazy to think we have both had the same injury, same side of the leg, with the same weak Glut Medius Muscle. I wish everyone a Happy and Healthy Adventurous New Year!!!

Derek-

No comments:

Post a Comment