Running to 100 Store

Friday, February 4, 2011

Slow Spirit Brings Creativity

I have not written much in the last two weeks. This is for several reasons but primarily I have just not had any constructive comments to make. Nor have I been moved inside by something worthy of mention. After yesterdays lunchtime road run I felt enough movement had been made to make an entry.

Over the last two weeks I continue to battle with my tendon issue. It is getting better. Just very slowly. I want more than anything for it to be healed. I want to run races. I want to dig deep into training and peel away all that is me and enter into the silence calm world I am driven into when pushing hard. But I cannot.
I have been attempting to take steps back, slow down and learn. Learn from this forced reduction in intensity.

A few things are becoming apparent to me. Number one is NEVER take anything you love or enjoy for granted. I know this is cliche' to say but it really is true. My mind can know this but my heart may not feel it. My heart has been feeling it. An example was while running in the melting snow earlier this week I purposely ran through each puddle of slush and snow soaking my feet. To feel the cool water in my shoes brought a calmness over my soul that I cannot explain. A joy there are no words for. Remember the joy of skipping as a child feeling light as a feather? or the feeling of a safe place and a soft bed after a hard days play as a child? It was similar to that. During the run I was awash in small subtle joys that I should never take for granted.

Number two is through adversity can come creativity. I have had to find ways to stay fit,keep positive and work with my tendon issue. Through this I have discovered flaws in my running form. Weakness in certain areas of my body. I have found the joy of taking time to stretch and become flexible. For the first time in my life I have almost touched my head to my knees while bending forward! Mentally I have also become more creative in staying positive in setbacks,failures and focus. By no means am I great at these things, but I do believe I am making moves in a positive direction.

Finally I am being refreshed in humbleness. I believe we all at some point build this bubble of who we are and where we stand in the pecking order in various parts of this life on earth. At times this can be productive in measuring progress but at times it can also bind you and blind you into thinking you are something you are not. Or someone that is better than something else. This type of thinking is detrimental to both my own personal growth but more importantly to the personal growth of those around you. In slowing down while running these thoughts have trickled in from somewhere I do not know. I am sure they would not have done so if I were able to run as hard as I would like.

You may ask what does this have to do with running? Well running for me personally is as much of a test physically as it is emotionally. When I combine the physical with the emotional I come up with life. I am thankful there is a tool called running to discover the mysteries of life. My hope is I am able to take these discoveries and apply them positively to both myself but also to my family,friends and anyone I may come into contact with. The spirit that is inside the music of the Local Natives has brought such wonderful creativity in their latest album. I would suspect they took time to slow down and focus when creating such fantastic music.


The nuts and bolts of the last two weeks:
Running: Roughy 20 miles a week. Slow on roads.
Gym: Lifting weights in the am
Gym: Stairclimber in the pm.
I weighted myself at the gym for the heck of it. 156 pounds.
Progress to note: If I run today during lunch I will have run daily for the last 5 days. This is a first since October
I successfully beat my PR of total vertical miles climbed in an hour on the stairclimber at the gym. I just about barfed while doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment