Running to 100 Store

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Instantly Slow


Finally have a few moments to make an entry about the adventure of running and of life in general. Where was I last entry? Oh yes form, food and function. One item I neglected to touch on in my last post was time.
Some things just take time. In this quick fix instant gratification culture we are all so immersed in time and the art of waiting seems to be frowned upon at best and more typically is scoffed. I am finding the cliche' saying of "good things come to those who wait" is more times than not, very true. Of course you may find yourself in moments of "carpe diem " and by all means do so when the time is right. But for me i see the art of utilizing slow time as the bread of life and quick movement the salt.
A little salt goes along way and can really bring things alive but too much and your left with a very unfriendly situation.
I have been waiting. Very un patiently at times but waiting non the less. Hoping in the things unseen. It has been hard for me. But growth typically is. I do believe over the last several months I have learned a lot about myself, mentally. But also about life in general. I read somewhere the other day about passion of life as we age and train. In the latter stages you don't train so much from pure raw passion but train smart from your mind. While doing so you realize you ARE getting older and know time is short so your passion arises from your mind. I probably butchered the original text but it is true for me.
So much of my past in life has been shooting from the hip with passion. Sometimes good but more times than not it was ineffective. I feel over the last several months I have begun to shoot with my mind. Taking time to think. Taking time to be smart. This is a rather simple idea now that I type it out but applying it in daily life for me is both difficult and new. I stumble almost daily in trying but that is good. I hope my mental passion stays focused and willing to try.
Have I been able to run? After a pretty difficult last week covered in the sickness of strep throat I emerged running. Fast? No. Long? No. Consistently? yes. Slow running consistently means time to think. Think about my passion and what it is. How it can positively be played out in the time I am spared on this earth. So the creative process develops for me. One of the many reasons I love to run.
I have run every day since last saturday. Two blissful muddy trail runs followed by road runs daily during lunch at work. Been leaving the watch at home. Been leaving any ideas of what the run should be checked at the door. I savor the slow unfolding of the trip. I enjoy the doing. Thinking not of the end. In this a rhythm of thought and motion rather abstract ideas about life and all that it is to me reveal themselves.
This is what my running is to me right now. It is not about miles. It is not about speed. It is about being. It is about a rhythm no words describe. As i reflect on this I am so grateful for this gift. I am thankful for my broken body. I am thankful for the mind that I have. I am also thankful I am not alone. For being alone would take away all depth and meaning.
I remember on a run some years ago during the summer night. The moon was full and wonderful as often it is during this time. But the beauty was lonely. I felt deep sadness inside. Life is meant to be shared. Anyone want to come along for a run?

No comments:

Post a Comment